Friday 7 August 2015

Caramel Apple Cinnamon Pancakes.

When my friend, Krista, suggested this week's pancake flavour I couldn't wait to make them, Thursday morning couldn't come fast enough. Who doesn't love the combination of apple, cinnamon and gooey caramel? I imagined them looking and tasting like a warm apple pie.
Unfortunately, this is not what I got. I wouldn't call them a disaster but they definitely were not pretty. The caramel melted and stuck to the pan which caused the pancakes to break apart when I tried to flip them. They did taste amazing though :)



I started with my basic pancake recipe found here and added caramel squares, apples and cinnamon. Mix up your dry ingredients including about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix the wet ingredients in a measuring cup then combine with the dry. Mix well.

Unwrap your caramel squares and chop into small pieces. I chopped each square into 9 pieces but this may have been too big. Definitely oil your knife with vegetable oil or cooking spray because as we all know, caramel is sticky and the oil will prevent the caramel from sticking to your knife.






I initially sliced my apples into rings. The plan was to place a slice of apple on top of the pancake before flipping.

This probably would have worked really well if the caramel hadn't stuck to the pan. This particular pancake became more like apple crumble. It tore and turned into a big mess. I diced the rest of the apple and threw it into the batter.





See? Not pretty. They tasted great so they may get a second chance in a few weeks. I do have some ideas to fix them:

  • smaller caramel pieces may reduce the sticking
  • Skor pieces instead of the caramel.These can be purchased in the baking aisle next to the chocolate chips.
  • If all else fails, Apple Cinnamon pancakes with a caramel sauce!
See the little holes? That's where the caramel melted and oozed out :(

No comments:

Post a Comment